PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2020, 13:10
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hughes500 - if details aren't available and shrouded in secrecy, how are they going to get any orders?

Buying a helicopter 'off-plan' sounds a very risky investment.
Indeed, my previous reference to the "Elio" car was one recent example of such a venture. Paul Elio, undoubtedly an engineer with a vision, persuaded thousands of Americans that his low cost, highly economical, three wheeled car would revolutionise private transport. It was advertised to cost just $6800 and do 84 miles per US gallon. It obviously appealed to retired folk and others on lower incomes. Many put money up front as non-refundable deposits ($1000 dollars in many cases). The company was subsequently floated and many other hopefuls bought shares. All that they saw were prototypes that were constantly being radically changed in design while the price kept going up and the production date rolled further away into the future. I believe the original, panelled space frame would be too costly to mass produce and probably not comply with vehicle regulations. No vehicles ever went into production (they didn't even have a factory in the end) and all those paying for a deposit received was a T shirt, a bumper sticker and empty promises.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elio_Motors

As a petrol head I became quite enthusiastic about the concept to begin with (must be over ten years ago now) but my engineering background made me quickly realise that advertising claims being made were unrealistic. Major investors obviously felt the same way. The designer seems to have quietly disappeared.

I sincerely hope that Hill Helicopters will fare better than this.

Last edited by ShyTorque; 29th Aug 2020 at 13:23.