PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worldwide Redundant Pilots-Smile Please
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2020, 10:46
Lookleft

Received 200 Likes on 95 Posts
More interested in how that ‘experienced’ pilot will keep himself current and interested in that potential job vacancy 1-2 years hence.
That is a very good point. There have been a few comments here and on other social media from LH pilots who are enjoying being in their own bed and starting to feel normal again after the jetlag has been exorcised from their bodies. If they need the money then in the intervening years they are going to have to find something to support themselves and maybe they won't want to go back to what they had before. The lure of aviation might be even less shiny if T&C's are eroded. I am seriously considering leaving the industry if I can find the right opening. I have learnt that I can survive on a lot less money and having a regular routine after so many years of not knowing what I am doing until 10 days before the next month no longer has any appeal. The pilot shortage in the US was going to be exponential over the next 10 years anyway. I think C19 might make that more acute when travel picks up as a lot of pilots in the 55-65 age bracket may just not bother.