PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew workload in manual flying
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2020, 14:30
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would get seriously worried about someone if they've got a couple of years of EU LCC experience and haven't improved one bit since the beginning. I would even say that, to me, this sounds completely nonsensical. Those who make it into these companies are subjected to a substantial assessment, far-above-average level of training and lots of hours and sectors in every month afterwards. So, if you get into one of those places and you're half-decent, in a couple of years you stand all chances of becoming a skillful, competent, above-average pilot. And I would feel totally safe getting on a plane that's in the hands of such a pilot.

What I feel is the cause for concern are some smaller, worse-known places. Of course, there are brilliant pilots there as well and people have all sorts of reasons for ending up somewhere like that rather than in a major airline - but, IMHO, that's where you're most likely to find people with significant lapses in their skill set. There's often no true common standard there and newbies pick up the way of working of whoever they get paired with - and, having never seen otherwise, take everything they hear on trust and soak in all the good and bad habits of whoever they fly with. One other problem is that this sort of bottom-feeder carriers often only fly in the summer. So, on one hand, this often means little to no exposure to cold weather ops, LVO and all the other joys of year-round flying. I've personally seen someone with 5 years of experience in an airline like this who had never done de-icing/anti-icing just because he had only flown in warm temperatures! On the other hand, it means that the pilots routinely have long interruptions in their practice, which is not a good thing, especially combined with low experience. And the lack of firm skills and confidence resulting from all this can very easily translate into overreliance on automation. Someone who flies infrequently or doesn't fly at all for most of the year, paired with a colleague who is not happy with the AP being disengaged at any time above 1000 ft AGL, is likely to never develop his manual flying skills to a good standard.