PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2003, 02:58
RDRickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Helmets in Small Helicopters

In a recent thread search, I found dozens of posts on PPRuNe about helmets. However, most of the discussions focused on what type to wear and how to modify them. I even found one thread (circa 2001) that discusses the pros and cons of wearing helmets in helicopters at all.

There is some great background information already posted, but I'd like to hear your opions on whether or not to wear helmets in small helicopters. Specifically, do you wear a helmet in any of the following:

B2B, R22, B47, UH-12, 280FX/F28F, 300C/CB/CBi
(any other 2-3 place helicopter that I forgot)

Also, please tell us what kind of flying are you doing (recreational, casual, line patrol, training, time building, instruction, etc). I'm already preparing for the arguement that there should NOT be any distinction between larger helicopters and 2-3 place helicopters where the use of helmets are concerned.

If you feel that helmets are a must for any helicopter, please defend your position. Personally, I don't wear a helmet when flying because most of my flying is casual or time building. If I were flying line patrol or in remote wilderness locations, a helmet would be part of my mission profile.