PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Duxford - End of Flying Legends airshows
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2020, 13:28
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 320 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by clareprop
Having learnt to fly at Sywell in '84, you've piqued my interest. I regularly flew BASP and AZSW which, I believe drowned itself on the IoW many moons later.
Can't recall which one it was, G-AZ?? I think, but it was started up between the hangars, ran up to high power, shot forwards towards the airfield, the right wingtip clipped a fuel pump (I think - it's no longer there) on the corner of what is now 2Excel's hangar, it pirouetted round the pump and the nose went through the front of the glazed area. A friend and I were walking in front of the hangar on the tarmac strip towards the corner and were suddenly confronted with this spinning prop a few yards away - John broke right and I was contemplating diving over the wing I think, fortunately the momentum taking it into the side of the hangar likely saved our bacon!

Two guys who looked like mechanics were in it and I assume the throttle had been left open and the parking brake off when they started it. Looked like the right wing was slightly twisted and presumably the prop/engine/cowling were damaged too. Pleased to report there was no laundry bill on our part, can't comment on the state of the occupants' smalls - I imagine they may have had a no tea no biccies style interview with their manager later...

[/drift]