PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 27th Aug 2020, 08:16
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since time immemorial those joining a job have looked at those who are still doing the job just 30 years on and claimed pay disparity and the ubiquitous phrase 'they have had the best years of the job'.

Ironically those who are at the top of the tree said the exact same when they were at the bottom doing exactly the same grind probably for less pay. No one in the airline industry just 'appeared' at the top of the seniority scale. Everyone has a story to tell of how they got there and the hard times overcome to do so. Aircraft were older, less automation, nav aids more basic, approaches more difficult. No GPS, beacon to beacon, unreliable engines etc. etc. etc.

I can tell you that many at the top say of those at the bottom that they don't realise how easy they have it with modern aircraft, ATC and ground systems. It's a completely circular argument.

What I will say though is that those who have worked, waited, flown the dross for years and years to get to a position where remuneration and lifestyle is acceptable/good should be allowed to enjoy that position they have worked for without constant sniping. A position earned through years of work, possibly sacrifices through military time, certainly sacrifices on a family/personal front. PP34 vs PP24 wasn't created by those in receipt of the pay either, it was forced down through the EU and BA mandated a change with the new pay points. Much as the changes to the pension schemes were never 'back dated' future contracts were changed to reflect the new normal. Anyone joining post 2006 knew what contract they were agreeing to. If it angered you so much back then then why sign?

When you have put up with the SH lifestyle for the duration of the freeze, gained some seniority and control over your roster, moved to a fleet which gives you a work life balance that suits you then see if you want to 'level the playing field' for the advantage of those new to the company? It's the movement of pilots through the less popular fleets that keeps the whole system moving. The 10 year freeze is now well gone so the system will start to accelerate with respect to retirements.

As I say to my 2 older kids, just have some patience, your time in the sun will come.

All IMHO of course.