PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Duxford - End of Flying Legends airshows
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2020, 07:13
GeeRam

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Amos Keeto
Sywell - if it can cater for 2,000 movements during the annual LAA Rally, then surely it can cope with Flying Legends.
Not sure about Sywell......good friends of mine run a weekend event there (or did pre-Covid) and visitor parking for Sywell will be a problem. There's only about a third of the space available across the road in the fields for car parking compared to the limitation at Duxford, so you will have to bring in a lot of either park n ride options from nearby landowner fields (at cost) as well as transport from the station. I know what it cost them in terms of bringing in facilities for a fraction of the people that would be there for Legends and its not cheap.
The costs to TFC for show infrastructure that they currently don't have to think about is a lot, on top of the other stuff they will have to employ people to do.
As someone that has been involved on the fringes of large public event organisation, don't underestimate the amount of work and costs involved in taking on a LOT of more than what you've been used to doing........and still expect to not loose money.

I think the only way TFC can do this is going to an airfield where there is already an established show structure in place to piggy back off/share etc, and there's not many options there, Cosford, Biggin and Old Warden are all that I can think of. Either that or joining forces with a previous show team, that have had to stop a show and try and revive it under the Legends banner?