PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 27th Aug 2020, 07:11
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Loads of aviation careers start at 40. Nothing unusual there. This thread is titled "My dream" - if it really is your dream then why is there any doubt?

The most cost effective UK based approach? PPL, night, IRR, MEP, CBIR (ME), CPL (SE) in that order.

The CBIR is basically a reduced amount of training and experience before you take the IR test. The traditional 55 hour course is way too long for all but the slowest learners, which makes CBIR the preferred route, plus it avoids simulator time. Simulators are great when they're used correctly to repeat maneuvers etc, but they rarely are: They're usually used to fill out the IFR requirements for the IR. So although SIM hours count towards the IR, they can't be logged as flight time for your CPL (and ATOs can charge almost as much for a SIM as an SEP!) . Doing a CBIR and reducing SIM time by using a single engine plane instead actually kills two birds with one stone and saves a fortune. The biggest mistake you can make in flight training is getting a PPL, hour building, getting a CPL then getting an IR. That's 45 hours of training after they've hit 200 hours and got their CPL. By simply getting your IR before your CPL you can incorporate the IR training into existing flying and save thousands.

Last edited by rudestuff; 29th Aug 2020 at 20:41.