PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC 10 to fly again as a tanker
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2020, 19:32
DuckDodgers

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RAFEngO74to09
Omega is not capable of meeting the latest increased USN requirement on its own - even with the additional assets it is getting eg ex-RNethAF KDC-10s (which are not KC-10s) and an additional old B707 it is converting. Therefore, it looks like there may be a medium term market for any retired already converted tanker - however expensive it might be to get airworthy and operate - given the huge difference between what it would cost to get a Tristar or VC-10 back up and running compared to a new A330-MRTT at $300M a copy (which can't be produced anyway for another 4 years).
This isn't entirely accurate as the base ordering period for PMA226 in NAVAIR against the two relevant Contract Line Item Numbers (CLINs) is 855,000 flight minutes (14,250hrs) over the 5-years or 2,850hrs per year, so I'd suggest Omega can easily meet this demand from within current available resources. Although NAVAIR has an expectation that multiple contractors could receive an award through the Task Order Request (TOR) process (if they meet the stand-up requirements) it's quite possible that one awardee could fly all 2,850hrs which given the current market space I'd suggest this is the most likely outcome. I can't see NAVAIR falling for another Tempest/Tristar LLC debacle, or more recently the Strategic Airborne Operations JV LLC over the HEEWJ contract award.