PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 26th Aug 2020, 09:36
bex88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to admit it but I did not totally disagree with JM’s comments about pay disparity. I was a little concerned by the “ludicrous salaries” quote but based that on my pay on PP34 as a P1. When I looked at year 24 on PP24 I was a bit surprised at the disparity and level of renumeration. What further reinforced this is junior 787 captains (Around 80-85%) have been in the airline for 23 years. Suddenly the argument starts to stack up. The BACC chairman also said the incremental pay system is not compatible with DC pensions and was designed in a era of final salary pension. This again is a very valid argument.

Whats the answer? Probably fixed pay levels, maybe a service bonus like at EJ. I don’t see anyone getting a pay rise out of this though and there is no joy in seeing anyone take a pay cut either. PP24/34 is not a issue but it becomes one unless junior pilots feel represented. There is a lot of anger from the SH RHS directed squarely at senior pilots. Be that right or wrong it’s how they feel. Yes they signed up to LIFO plus but on the flip side anyone Pre 2006 signed up to pay and retirement at 55 based on PP24. It is really up to the latter to look after the junior guys, if for no other reason than to try to protect their own interests by preventing a split between us.

Don’t bark at me about the above, it is not all my own views but a overall assessment of what I hear out on the line.