PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2020, 09:31
FFMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally on the same page as Mr Mac.
There are limits to what can be achieved through online meetings and let's not forget that online meetings were perfectly possible before Covid. Covid did not inspire any great advance in the ability to do so (although the service providers would have you believe that). So that speaks for itself - people voted with their feet and went to meetings.
I suspect many commentators on the subject of business travel are not actually 'in business' and can't understand why business doesn't work in the same way as a Zoom call with grandma. There is increasingly frustration among colleagues about the inability to get out there to make things happen. The result of online meetings is often to kick the can further down the road. Online meetings are handy for quick updates etc but anything meaningful results in unacceptable compromises.

The greatest risk to aviation now is the total lack of confidence that people have in it. I have had several 'have you booked anything yet?' conversations recently and the response is always words to the effect of 'why bother because even if you book, you don't know if the flight will actually go and then you have the monumental task of trying to get your money back'.
Unless this cycle of distrust can be broken, the airline business will enter a new period of doom.