PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lauda 320 UK report
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2020, 06:09
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
infrequentflyer789

See, the problem is, you say you must take your bag of meds with you. Another person whose hand-written manuscript for a book that took them 2 yrs to write will want to take that. The student whose dissertation is in their bag. The person with the only set of photographic negatives of family memories. The person carrying plans for a secret invention. The courier carrying commercially sensitive documents. The person who needs to self inject insulin. People who don't want to be without their make-up.

You and all these folk could be the ones holding up or obstructing other passengers in an emergency evacuation because you want to take your bags off. It is a selfish attitude and could result in the death of other people, from smoke inhalation or burns, or crush injuries. (You sound even more selfish and fraudulent when you say you would actually fake injuries in order to push-in to the top of the queue to the local hospital)

All the examples above, including yours have easy answers which do not require taking cabin bags off.

If you would die without your meds, then for a start, you should be declaring your special medical needs to the airline, and, if it was me; I would have a 1 day supply of pills, taken out of their packaging, around my neck. If you get stopped by security and they demand to know what the pills are, you can show them the packaging they came from in your bag and your list and your doctor's letter and your insurance document.

.....Your problem is that if everyone thinks for themselves then inevitably some of them are going to come up with a different conclusion to you - probably because their circumstances or perspectives are different (see example above). You can't have both "people think for themselves" and "people do exactly as I say".
Passengers will never have done an evacuation drill. Nor will they have partaken in regular SEP, (Safety and Emergency Procedures) training, that all aircrew regularly undertake. Passengers do not appreciate the risks. Passengers do not know what to do. Most passengers don't read the safety card in their seat pocket. Most passengers ignore the safety demonstration and some read their newspaper during it. So, passengers have to be told what do in an emergency. They have to be shouted at, because it needs to happen NOW, without them trying to think it through - there simply isn't time. The certification is 90 seconds to evacuate everyone from an airliner. In an emergency, passengers must do what they are told quickly.

That's the "do what I say" bit.

The "think for yourself" bit is; if we had to evacuate and I lost my cabin bag/meds/manuscript/make-up/iPad/wallet/passport etc; how would I cope? What could I do to replace them? Also: read the safety card and listen carefully to the safety demo.

Last edited by Uplinker; 26th Aug 2020 at 06:24.