PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You Know You Are In Africa When.....
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2020, 23:30
obgraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for my Africa story: I did a spell of medical work at a mission hospital in the center of Niger. We got there by private flight in a single engine Piper (model escapes me now), about 2 hours flying through the red haze each way.
On the return flight there was me and the pilot up front, and two young nurse/teachers in back, amid a pile of luggage. No room to move.
Lots of shuffling around back there, and "just keep looking forward, Doc". That and "how long till we land?"
On landing at Niamey, the rules were to stay in the plane until the customs/police fellow checked ID's and papers. It's Africa, who knows how long they'll lollygag over this! However, the two ladies were out of there like a shot and running into the terminal.
Officer in his fancy cap is strolling out during this, and starts yelling at them to get back. "No, we won't, we can't wait any longer" is the reply.
So we are left explaining to Fancycapper that they both had the HotsyTrotsies and unless he wanted to be cleaning up the tarmac he'd best leave them be. He was trying to decide on the penalty.
Fortunately, the Piper escaped bespoiling also. That was a relief to the pilot!