PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2020, 21:34
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BUT a replaced the Classification scheme in the late 60s. As its name implies, it was supposed to be the minimum events to maintain crew proficiency. It was a one size fits all approach. The previous scheme was based on an average of 300 hours per crew per year but ranged from 320 for a new crew to 240 for a Select Star crew. Many of the latter's hours could be overseas rangers. In contrast the BTR set out the same number of navex, bomb runs, approaches of each type.

As with the previous scheme combat grades were largely dependent on bombing results.

A failure of the BTR system, and it was not confined to the V-Force, was the need to tick all the boxes by the end of the 6 month period. If for instance the requirement was 6 ILS approaches logic would suggest one per month. If at month 5 you were 3 short what as the benefit of squeezing in 3 more when basic requirements were one a month?

Other aspects on the ground training side would cover egress drills, fighter drills, para landing drills, annual refresher training and annual combat survival exercise.

Of these latter we were a precious resource and our fitness could not be jeopardized by risky exercises. Our CS at Cottesmore was a day out, construction of a shelter, and cooking on a fire. The Sqn was bused to Folkingham airfield and we got out with a rat pack, parachute and some bits and pieces. We were in a,partially wooded area of an over grown bomb dump. After a by The of foraging we got a suitable pitch, created a suspension para teepee, found an old radio crate, found some coke, and soon had a good cooking fire going. At endex we cleaned camp. The following year we reclaimed our pitch, 30 minutes later we had the radio crate cooker back in use. I wonder if it's still there.