PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Duxford - End of Flying Legends airshows
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2020, 17:31
DHfan

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I hope they can find somewhere where it's viable to hold the display but with their aircraft being kept literally a few yards from the flight line at Duxford, it's hard to think anywhere else could work financially.

IWM seem to be run by idiot accountants these days or possibly marketing "experts". A couple of years ago they trumpeted that Friends of Duxford was no more and it was under the umbrella of Friends of IWM. We went to Legends in 2018 with a still (just) current FoD membership. The cafe/restaurant, and presumably shop, discount had gone down from 20% to 15% which I could live with as I spent very little on site. We tried to enter the FoD enclosure which had always been member and guest and were sent off to a tent to pay £10 to get my other half in, and when we did get in, the previously free tea, coffee and biccies were at the special discounted member price of £1.95 for a teabag in a polystyrene cup.
If they hadn't changed things, they'd have continued getting 40-odd quid a year indefinitely. As it is, it will take a really inventive accountant to prove that a one-off payment of £17.80 (two cups of tea each) was a better deal.

I found somewhere on the 'net a while ago that somebody had put in a Freedom of Information request about things relating to the change. Out of around 5,500 Friends of Duxford members, somewhere under 900 had transferred to the new scheme. Needless to say, I wasn't one of them.

That was a roaring success then...