PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-2
Thread: Gatwick-2
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2020, 12:32
brian_dromey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JSCL
IAG isn't all about London. They may be happy to see BA doing what it does best at LHR, bring Vueling in to some of the LGW slots and offload a bunch more. I think in a new world, IAG may focus more on EI and Vueling expansion where there is actually scope to expand.
There is an obsession with Vueling or LEVEL at LGW. It makes no sense with ground handling outsourced and cabin crew on 'industry standard' T&C's. Other than lounge access and fast track for a few Slivers and Gold BA have very comparable costs to any other branch of IAG. BA seem to think this is viable just for their 777 operation, so additional usage by short-haul passengers is fairly small. What Vueling, Aer Lingus or LEVEL do not have is an established brand that works well in the London area. BA golds would also be able to access the BA lounges if travelling on Vueling or Aer Lingus anyway. I think BA have a slight cost disadvantage at LGW compared to other airlines, but they seem to command a revenue premium too.

I doubt IAG will be too keen to let Wizz get a foot in the door at LGW, I would have thought they learned their lesson from easyJet in 2001.