PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beverley or Hasting tales please
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2020, 10:52
Null Orifice

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Chugalug2

I remember the incident as I was one of Rex Oakes' ground party and subsequent to 491 being placed in its more familiar tail down pose on the ground was sent back to WR to recover the V & A (Valuable and Attractive!!!) items from the imminently Cat 5 aircraft.
The whole incident was of particular annoyance to us all as the returning aircraft was to be our carriage back to Colerne. I did not see the whole episode due to our HQ (tent) being behind the grass bund but saw the aircraft downwind to land then some time later witnessed the top of the fin appearing above the bund.
Our interest was aroused and several of us jumped into the Land Rover and went to the scene. By then, all the drama was over and all on board were safely back on terra firma. I spoke to the Flt Eng, Dave H, a former 24 Sqdn ground crew member, who complained that he was brushed aside by the evacuating crew members as he dutifully completed his shutdown ritual. There was a story that somebody trod on his hand as they made their exit though the adjacent escape hatch.
We returned to base via Mildenhall which was the nearest airfield that open at that (much later) time of night - West Raynham having gone back to sleep. A few days later, after the aircraft had been released from investigation I, together with a couple of others, returned to remove the V&A items. By then, the otherwise empty freight compartment was rather insanitary with the contents of an Elsan somewhat forward of their usual position down the back.