PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2020, 10:02
shamrock7seal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizzair at SOU?

Before I say anything can I just remind everyone that I am a supporter of SOU as I have family in the catchment. It's convenient for them and I. I use it a lot to get to them.

Wizzair

Wizzair are launching a LGW base. There is no-way they will now launch a SOU base or even a SOU operation when LGW are trying desperately to fill the void left by others - the airport deals will be too attractive. It would dilute their LGW operation to start routes from SOU. Wizzair's attempt to start 'overflow' routes from SEN (as they couldn't get more slots at LTN, STN or LGW) is now stalled because the market has completely altered itself for the medium term. This is why it's going to take years before SOU sees 2019 levels of passenger numbers; and then it will take years to go above that level. Wizzair, in time, are far more likely to open a BRS or CWL base ahead of SOU for the South West catchment. LTN and LGW have North, South and West London catchments (which includes Southampton) areas covered.

Do existing operators need a runway extension?

Yes, but the airport MD keeps saying he wants 737's and A320's. Talk about mixed messages! If they focused the message on existing operators it's far more likely to garner support and a green light. Stop talking about attracting LCC's and larger aircraft which is throwing the conversation off track and causing concern on environmental issues and noise.

easyJet

It's already been mentioned so I don't need to repeat that easyJet are closing bases, not opening new ones. But I wonder why easyJet is not making a huge song and dance over supporting SOU with the extension? I haven't heard a peep from easyJet on this issue. This also reveals their true intention for SOU in the long-term. It is most likely not a priority and I would hazard a guess that the true issue is commercial performance rather than 'operational' performance. The SOU-GVA route seems fine at a frequency of a few times a week but why is SOU-GVA not daily or double daily (or even three times daily) like BRS or BHX etc? It's most likely because of its proximity to the London airports and their drastically low fares pulling people out of their catchment. This drastically reduces the options for a based LCC operator at SOU because it means less aircraft and therefore higher costs.

Finally - airport fees and charges

Would an extension mean lower airport charges? I don't think so - they are going to spend a significant amount just at a time when they have massive revenue short-falls. And because SOU has limited other businesses at the airport other than a commercial scheduled operation they can't recover this investment elsewhere.