PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2020, 09:36
Timelord

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts
Petet:

PN has summarised the ground training which included:
Target study,
Intelligence reading and study,
Weapons Standardisation (Nuclear weapon knowledge and procedures both academic quizes, training / tests on a rig and actual procedures around a real aircraft)
Aircraft systems knowledge - examined both airborne and academically by the Group Standardisation Unit

Any and all of the above was additionally examined by external and NATO examiners during the roughly annual Taceval process.

Flying was largely driven by BTR requirements but since you ask about a typical year, and since I am bored at the moment and have my logbook to hand here is 1976 flying:

January BTR + Double Top (Bombing Comp ) training. this, of course counted towards BTRs
Feb More Double Top training, some of which was flown from Bedford during a dispersal exercise (Index)
March Double Top training
April BTR + Ranger to Malta including 2 Italian low level routes, again, counting towards BTRs
May BTR + Ex Scorer ( Group sponsored I think, including BTRs Low level route, 2 x LL targets, EW run and First Run Attack on a UK range)
June BTRs including another Bedford dispersal and fly off
July BTR + 3 Co pilot ICC trips. I must have offended someone that month!
Aug BTRs at Goose Bay
Sept BTRs including Ex Blue Moon (Can't remember what that was)
Oct Goose and Offutt ranger -including 3 low level trips - all counting to BTRs
Nov BTR
Dec BTRs, Convex training on posting to a new Sqn and Crew.

So, to summarise, Some flying crew planned to achieve BTRs, some flying externally directed (exercises, rangers etc) but still designed to achieve BTR.
The crew classification scheme can perhaps wait for another day.
What is the interest petet, writing a book or just curious??

TL
PS. Sorry AEOs, I forgot EW training. Trying to identify various squeaks and groans heard on the warning receiver as given radars and systems (Fiddler, Big Nose Ash!!) You guessed it, this too was a BTR!

Last edited by Timelord; 25th Aug 2020 at 10:08. Reason: PS