PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew workload in manual flying
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2020, 12:06
sonicbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vlieger
The comment above is spot on. The truth is: deteriorating flying skills are a result of the race to the bottom of the last 20 years. I get all the comments lamenting this fact and I too used to fly a lot of raw data and visual. Now, however, flying for a European low cost operator that seems a bit too keen on flight data monitoring, fear culture is becoming the norm in Europe too. Why do a visual approach when your safety ops reprimands its pilots for being a few knots above Vapp on a visual in windy conditions? Combine this with a punishing and fatiguing summer roster where everyone is worked to the max, and yes, we are going to start behaving like monkeys flying from ILS to ILS. A lot of us are indirectly being encouraged not to maintain our actual flying skills. We're either too knackered or scared and don't want the hassle of filing ASR's.
Don't blame individuals, blame the whole system that makes this possible.
100% agree.
All of that is simply WRONG ! I am still lucky to work for a European legacy carrier (effin' covid 19 permitting) where common sense still prevails, but I am well aware of all the BS going on within the industry - especially the kind of stuff You have exposed above.
This way of doing things is typical of those places where nobody wants to get any sort of responsibility or use their brain/airmanship and thus if Vapp +10 is ok, Vapp +11 gets you a warning letter.
With things like that it is obvious that sooner or later the industry will end up pilotless, as the machine will maintain the speed better than us untrained pilots who are too afraid to try !