PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spare some outback/remote flying tips for a beginner?
Old 24th Aug 2020, 11:42
Alice Kiwican

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Blueskymine
The things I wished I had of been told and knew before doing GA.

1 - always without fail do a walk around before getting in (after loading pax/freight whatever). This is crucial. I can’t stress it enough.

2 - take Vick’s in your headset bag. Trust me.

3 - shake the wings before doing a fuel drain and do more than one when it’s been raining. It could be all water.

4 - you can hand swing a 520. Just don’t.

5 - always leave the beacon on. You’ll leave the master on one day and flat batteries suck ^ see above.

6 - if you’re really stupid and get stuck in bad weather. Go high don’t go low. Speak to someone and get help once you’re not going to hit anything.

7 - Never run min fuel. It’s just stupid.

8 - keep some muesli bars and snacks in your bag. It sucks being hot, thirsty and hungry.

9 - Don’t be nice. Swear back. Stand your ground with unruly passengers. They’ll like you after that. And respect you more.

10 - If you find yourself in something big dark and scary. Put the gear down and ride the wave. Don’t chase your altitude. What goes up will come down and you don’t want to be at Vne when it happens.

11 - loading system kilo is legitimate. It just sucks in a C207.

12 - There’s defects and there’s defects. Know when to stand your ground.
One more I’d like to add:

After rain never land on a dirt airstrip with standing water on it. ( even if owner says he’s checked it and it’s fine!)

Last edited by Alice Kiwican; 24th Aug 2020 at 21:35.