PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transport Canada to FAA conversion
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2020, 01:09
Amberleaf22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your tips and information. Okay, I did some more research and it appears I do not need a valid Canadian Medical. I only need to obtain an FAA medical.
I have completed the first stage, had my Canadian APTL verified by FAA in Oklahoma and they sent me and my local FSDO the verification letter. I am currently studying for the written "conversion exam". It appears there is not much difference between the Private and the Commercial "conversion" exam, so I plan to write the Commercial exam. My verification letter shows I have a Canadian Instrument rating (multi-engine), but it is expired. Per AC 61-135A, in order to obtain FAA instrument rating, I need a valid Canadian Instrument rating and pass the written "conversion" exam. At this point I am not interested in the instrument rating or APTL. .
This what I understand are the steps
1. Request FAA verification of Canadian License, to Oklahoma, that letter then sent to local FSDO, COMPLETE
2. Write written "Conversion" FAA Exam with PSIExams.
3. Obtain FAA medical. (I will obtain Class 3).
4. Register with IACRA and submit application for a FAA Commercial License based on Foreign (Canadian) License .
5. Make appointment with DPE, with all the docs and my logbook, if all is good, I will be issued a temporary license.
6. Obtain Flight Review with an Instructor and pass a formal check out at a local flying club. (will likely be several hours as I have not flow recently).
7. Wait for the plastic card license in the mail.

I will let you know how it goes.....