PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor Rating - Victoria
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2020, 00:26
SCPL_1988

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instructor Rating

Any person considering an instructing rating in Australia needs to think about the big picture
of employment and cost.

First, Australian training rates are horrific.
I'm in Canada and the cost here is about half that of Australia and the quality would
very much be very similar if not identical.

If you go to convert an Australian Instructor to Canadian you can add around $6,000 to do the mandatory 15 hrs air and 15 hrs ground with a Class 1 instructor.

If you do your Instructor rating in Canada, you can then go to work almost immediately with generally, lots of jobs around
and even with COVID the industry is rebounding.

If you do the Canadian instructor first, you can then convert that back to an Australian upon a flight review, a recommendation and a flight test.

Under age 30, Canadians and Australians are eligible for a no hassles working visa.

Get your instructor rating in Canada and if you impress, your odds of getting hired where you trained is pretty high.
By being around you will see and hear of the other entry level jobs ,
You could add a float rating etc, enjoy say 2 years flying floats, you will end up on a amphibian grand caravan making
a good income.

Instrument ratings. - What you get in Australia is a joke.
You hardly get any "real IFR". In Canada, at many places you will get more than enough of real IFR
and once you start flying for a living, you will get more than you want of "real" IFR.

There are schools in Canada that also turn out high numbers but at a quality that does not meet
expectations.

You also need to consider doing the FAA conversion, and basic instructor that also requires an instrument rating.
Most new pilots do their IFR as soon as they get their private to log PIC time.
Its that PIC time in Australia and Canada that you are literally paying double for .

Yes, any DUEL training for an instrument rating or instructor rating in the US is P I C time....
but not in Australia or Canada.

If I'm giving young potential pilots advice, I tell that CASA has largely destroyed the
economic viability of General Aviation, and if you want to get everything done to a very
high quality in the shortest period of time, look at North America and start thinking
about the big picture about where you will have the maximum opportunities
due to the larger number of aircraft and thriving aviation businesses.