PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who will be in the air on December 17th?
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2003, 21:47
Dave Gittins

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
100 Years since the first Wright day

I had booked the club Warrior to do .. at the very least ...... a couple of circuits of Fairoaks .. and probably a quick 120 foot leap, skip or hop on the runway while I recited some Neil Armstrong ish nonsense to myself about a "what was a massive leap into the first milennium of flight is but a short hop by Cherokee into the second."

.... I suppose, thinking about it, the Wright's had a bicycle engine, but in 100 years the Cherokee has only moved as far as a tractor engine.

However due to the extremely variable price of aviation as SLF, I shall now be on Mr Bishop's BD545 at about top of climb LHR - TFS. I supose an A321 is about as advanced a machine as I could get, being the most developed piece of technology in current use as the peak of man's aeronautical achievements over the past 100 years.

Like Vintage ATCO, I am transposing GMT with EST and having 10.34 Z ..... and don't care what anybody says.

.... Steve, the thought of having the Boxkite out is the best idea for the day I've heard anywhere ..... I really hope the wind and the viz and the sogginess do the biz for you all at Old W.

So .... I've probably done my own aviating for this milennium of flight with 3 circuits yesterday. The weather was so much better than forecast, I would have had a nice trip out if i'd known what it was going to be like.

At least I will be airborne at the right time on the Wright day but my first leap into the second milennium as a driver will be in Lanza Air's 172 at Tenerife later that week.

Hope all your Wednesday 17th's go well .. and above all safely.

Dave