PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew workload in manual flying
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 20:00
hec7or

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember back in the 80s flying manually and keeping a good lookout was paramount - not looking out of the window into a turn would get a clipboard round the back of one's head from the IRE/TRE in the sim! Very sadly, the flightdeck is no longer a place for those skills, TCAS has replaced lookout and the magenta line provides a synthetic situational awareness - hell at my company, the raw data ILS is taught with the ND as part of the scan, but if the ND is available, why would you need to fly raw data? If it's for practice, then why increase the scan beyond the necessary instruments.

My colleagues these days on the flight deck have between 200hrs and 3000hrs total time before they are rushed into the LHS...hopefully C-19 will slow this down, but the lack of airmanship that I deal with on a daily basis is simply jaw dropping. They get their RT from you tube, their IF procedures from NAVBLUE, and their common sense (airmanship) from their equally inexperienced 3000hr LHS mates - I won't call these LHS pilots captains, because at most airlines, they wouldn't be captains, they'd have to spend a few more years in the RHS learning the ropes.

Fortunately, I have very few real issues flying the line safely these days as modern aircraft are so much more reliable than the turboprops and second generation twinjets that I flew as a youngster with no FMC or AFDS to programme, but I would contend that the skillset nowadays is completely different - the only similarity being that we are at the controls of many tons of aluminium hurtling through the atmosphere propelled by Jet A1. The generation of youth starting on the Kirby Cadet T3 and progressing to chipmunks and JPs like I did is over, todays pilots are kids who start with Flight Sim, get their Dads to fund their dream career and learn their skills by pushing buttons, going online and pressing CTL ALT DEL when it all goes wrong.

I would mourn the now redundant skills of manual flying or using raw data or VOR point to point Navigation with the help of an en-route chart or taking a VOR or NDB cross cut - or even being able to read a TAF or a METAR and perish the thought of using the basic T scan and the black art of airmanship....but I'd hate to stand in the way of progress.

Sorry if this seems hubristic on my part, but the loss of basic airmanship and common sense I have seen over the years really is jaw dropping.