PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew workload in manual flying
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 18:01
Intrance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Check Airman
I bet with your turboprop experience, you could fly circles around the guys who were turning you down from jet jobs.

To your last paragraph, I think the difficulty with the OP’s company is that they force the PF to tell the PM to set the FCU. That does increase workload.

Fully agree with your last statement though. At the end of the day, good sense must prevail. If the PM is busy, set the FCU yourself if necessary.
To be honest, I think most of the applications never got past the "must be over 10.000kg MTOW" filter and were probably not seen by proper pilots. But the job sure gave me some very valuable flying skills. Sketchy company, sketchy captains to fly with... Was a proper sink or swim kind of deal. Came out as a pretty decent swimmer and a healthy sense of what not to do and what I was able to do. Would do it again if I had to go back in time.

My company has the same rule during manual flight, not on Airbus though. As PF I am supposed to order all the changes during manual flight, and like I mentioned, I still don't quite understand the purpose or benefit of this way of doing things. But you learn to go with the flow.