PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another low flying fairground incident.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 15:45
Hot and Hi

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I will fly any day VFR Night in a single. Over cultural lights that is. Not in order to better see the autorotation landing zone, but in order to avoid any risk of spatial disorientation.

Most accidents at night - even in countries where singles may fly at night - are not at all caused by engine failure. But by fuel starvation, mismanagement of aircraft systems that in a twin are inherently more complex. By CFIT, or by a false sense of security that lures pilots without IFR proficiency into thinking they can wing it (do I need to give examples? England, LA, Bahamas, just check the parallel thread...).

I further can't help the feeling that operators often use very old twins (in order to meet the regulatory requirements where twins are required) for obvious capital cost reasons. Old twins that - even if not necessarily less reliable - have very complicated AP and various other stabilisation systems that all depend on, or interfere with each other, and that are just too complicated for the average charter pilot to ever become proficient with.

So no, I guess the argument that flying singles at night within the regulations exposes people on the ground the *undue* risk is baseless.

Last edited by Hot and Hi; 23rd Aug 2020 at 16:41.