PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA 17yr old student crash
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 12:48
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
I have no experience flying the piston DC-3, but did a lot of stall testing on the turbine DC-3. Is was flying with the company training pilot right seat, so was accompanied by very competent supervision. That airplane had a nasty wing drop as the indication of the stall (usually a left wing drop). I accidentally did a half turn incipient spin twice during this testing. I know that the turbine DC-3 has different wingtips than the piston version, so there may be a difference there. The DC-3, and thus turbine DC-3 have an airframe designed and certified before refinement of stall handling characteristics as we know them now. I believe that DC-3's wings do not have a washout twist, so the whole wing can stall at once, rather than progressively root to tip - so warning is less, effects are more, it's just the way is is for some much older types. I found that this plane also had unusual pitch control forces as it approached the stall, it's just the way that plane is, though I would not certify a newer plane which handled that way. Happily, the DC-3 is not a type for which approach to stall should be common, and training is usually pretty good for their pilots. If GA trainers handled similarly, the landscape would be littered with wrecks!

A CAR 3 or Part 23 GA plane can be assumed to have compliant stall handling if correctly rigged. Pilots of airplanes other than those would be wise to seek advice or training relative to the type concerned. Most are probably still fine, but some antique types can be "different".