PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Runway Excursion
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 08:41
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
.......Actively praising/rewarding discontinuing an approach that is getting out of hand is very important important part of safety culture, IMO. This should be emphasised in training, checking, line operations and FOQA.
Reminds me of the Lenny Henry sketch, where he says that traffic police always pull you over if you have done something wrong, but never if you have done something well...."the way you took that corner, man, that was wicked...." !

Perhaps one snag is the 1000'/500' thing.

Pilots all know they should be stable by 1000', but they also know that if they are nearly stable at 1000' there is leeway to continue to 500' (technically only if positively correcting and visual, but definitions vary).

This tells a pilot that if they are near enough at the correct speed and correcting, they can continue through 1000' - but each pilot will have their own personal definition of 'near enough', and 'correcting'. Having continued through 1000' too fast, when they get to 500', the subconscious thinks, 'well I am still near enough, and anyway, look, there is the runway; plenty of length, so we might as well land, and I won't have to write a report or waste 15mins more fuel and the chief pilot will never know'.

Perhaps the 1000' criteria needs to be tightened, so as not to allow any over-speed at that gate?

I am wondering how FDM software would automatically pick up a long landing ? I guess you could set a flag for the time from closing the thrust levers to WoW? Or perhaps from a RA of, say, 50' to WoW.

Last edited by Uplinker; 23rd Aug 2020 at 08:51.