PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Runway Excursion
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 07:31
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you’ve got to have some disciplinary bottom lines for reckless behaviour, but at the same time you need some “carrot” as well as some “stick”. Actively praising/rewarding discontinuing an approach that is getting out of hand is very important important part of safety culture, IMO. This should be emphasised in training, checking, line operations and FOQA.

When the chimp is sitting on your shoulder giving directions, if it understands that one path leads to a reward and the other to a smack, it might lean more towards the reward.

I think that's the case for many Western airlines but I fear in many overrun incidents, sanctions and dire warnings for busting the gate at 500/1000' miss their mark, because often the excessive speed is at the threshold/in the flare, not at the gate, and that comes down to poor technique, not high energy further back in the approach.
Agreed. The aircraft state needs to be continuously assessed until you stop/vacate. I would differ in that not everything undesirable happens because of poor technique; gusts/shears, etc. at critical moments are part of normal operation but you do have to have a clear idea about what you can/can’t accept and what you’re going to do if it gets out of limits.