PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Racism in Turkey?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 07:27
Macheightfour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bringbackthe80s
Second thing: for a company who hires everyone on the same type of permanent contract (I doubt this is the case at THY) then talking about firing expats first is pure nonsense because I am pretty sure inTurkey too it is illegal to discriminate based on blood or passport. But I can tell you from experience there are/were very very few airlines around the world who hire expats on a permanent contract, for exactly this reason.
Actually the THY expats are on a permanent contract which has the same conditions as the locals.
They brought in the expats after the Amsterdam crash, at the height of the aviation boom in Turkey THY had about 1000 expats, 1/4 of the pilot force.

In the past years that decreased due to the economic downturn in Turkey, especially the devaluation of the Turkish Lira. Still there are a couple of hundred, mainly widebody captains.

As an expat your future employment hinges on your workpermit, which you may have today but could be gone tomorrow in any of the countries using a lot of expats in aviation. Especially if a government initiative is launched to this effect.

Unfortunate but not unexpected.

Originally Posted by capngrog
Why would any national flag carrier airline hire Expats to begin with?
Because they where growing exponentially and did not have the experience in house, it was a safety choice after the Amsterdam crash to bring in the expats.