PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages
Old 22nd Aug 2020, 23:59
Xeptu

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
Some form of Border restrictions (not necessarily closures but vaccine requirements or individual country restrictions) will probably exist for a few years. In any case FWA have said they’ll be allowing employers as much flexibility as they need to keep their business afloat, with probably no disagreement from the current government. So my guess is stand downs will be for as long as they need them.

The ending of Jobkeeper will have zero effect on whether or not further redundancies are enacted or stand downs are ended. Stand downs were announced well before Jobkeeper came into existence. Jobkeeper may be extended for aviation employees beyond March? But I think the announcement of it’s planned ending was to give affected employees plenty of time to organise alternative income well in advance of it’s cessation.
It's the very reason jobkeeper exists. It would be unreasonable to keep any australian employee stood down indefinately. I have no doubt an amendment to the national stand down provisions are being drafted as we speak. If it were not, that would just mean you would have no choice but to resign eventually. Jobkeeper will end and there won't be any special deals for the airlines that are not available to any other stood down/unemployed australian. After jobkeeper is jobseeker and there may be some scope for an arrangement there, I can't see that would be acceptable to the company though, given you would be accruing entitlements whilst you are effectively unemployed.