PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beverley or Hasting tales please
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2020, 20:04
Ormeside28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rejoined the RAF in 1951 having left in 1947. After wings refresher on Harvard’s at Oakington and Wellingtons
at Swinderby, I was posted to Dishforth. I did the ground school for the Hastings, but no flying. I was posted to Topcliffe on the day that our King died. I was a sergeant at the time. The orderly sergeant came to my room and said “Do you want to go to East Africa tomorrow? Yes! Briefing at 5, take off at six. The new Queen was in East Africa, Mombasa, in the stand in Royal Yacht, the ShawSavill liner Gothic. The Queen had by now returned
to U.K. by BOAC, and we were to bring back her staff and luggage, including Rear Admiral Charles Lambe.
we took Hastings 491. Two Captains, two navigators, a Flight Engineer,a Signaller, a Loadmaster, and me.
Flying over France, I was standing between the two Captains and confessed that I had never flown a Hastings.
Consternation, so I was put in the Captains seat, strapped in, auto pilot switched off, and obviously coped. So I was able to do my share of the flying. Our first stop was El Aden, after nine hours. Then one hour stop. tea and fuel, and off again. 12.45 to Mombasa. One of the Captains was aSouth African, so when dawn came we were over Lake Rudolf with all the flamingos. He let down to 500 feet and we crossed Kenya, almost Safari Lovely.
when we landed at Mombasa we were taken to a very nice hotel for breakfast and sleep.
Take off was at 1800, no airport lights, so we had to be away before dark. Heavy aircraft now, so we had to land at Khartoum for fuel, and on our way again to Castle Benito. Now Idris. Fuel again and on our way to London. Over the Sahara on my stint, the Admiral asked me if he could sit in the other seat. Luckily he didn’t ask me how many hours I had on Hastings. When we landed in London, an equerry came to the aircraft. Said that he had been sent by the Queen to thank us. First RAF duty for the new Queen. Meal laid on in restaurant and then back to Topcliffe. What a trip