PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew workload in manual flying
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2020, 18:36
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
Ueeehhh.... NO.

Most mistakes happen at the end of the day. Skipping items when busy is a perilous path, especially under the conviction that the shortcut is common sense. Indeed many have elected to speed things up by not reading a checklist with predictable results. (link to Spanair in MAD here).

The procedure as described by the OP (identical to my understanding of the FCOM book) is inadequate. Respecting a high level rule that PF instructs, a task sharing model is created which increases workload and is inpractical to use. One that is being avoided by trained crews intending their reasonable best in every day line ops.

Almost a poster child how not to do it from https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...AC_120-71B.pdf
​​​
Difference in philosophy, I guess. One of my biggest annoyances is flying with people who don’t stick to SOP. At the same time, our manuals allow us to exercise judgment when appropriate. That specific scenario (AP off with a busy PM) is addressed, and the powers that be think it’s fine for the PF to set it.

Naturally, once the PM is back in the loop, the PF will bring the PM up to speed regarding any changes. This part isn’t in the book, but it’s how it’s done on the line (and in the sim) because it just makes sense to do so. I have no doubt both our airlines operate safely day to day.