PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FedEx 767 landing without left main gear extended
Old 22nd Aug 2020, 15:18
Fair_Weather_Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your input Airbubba. The FedEx QRH is different to the one I have. Mine has a note at the top of the partial or all gear up QRH checklist stating that low approaches to confirm gear status must not be performed.

So, given there is no such note in FedEx the crew acted in accordance with the QRH checklist. But, what do you think they gained by doing the low approaches and the calls to maintenance and the technical pilot? Is that note at the top of my airlines checklist a wise thing?

As for calling SME's, the airlines that I worked for have stated that they do not want you to do this. Do you remember the Alaska Airlines, crash where they called maintenance who told them to work the jackscrew to unjam the stabiliser? My employers have just wanted you to identify the problem, run the checklist and use the decision making tool (GRADE, PIOSEE etc).

That said, the pilots do seem have acted in accordance to their training and company doctrine and landed well. let's see what the NTSB make of it.

Last edited by Fair_Weather_Flyer; 22nd Aug 2020 at 15:52.