PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 727. Why was it relatively unsuccessful in the UK?
Old 22nd Aug 2020, 13:59
OC37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bean
OC37 I can not and will not believe that Dan air operations and route planning would have dispatched an aircraft thousands of miles to do a job for which it was unsuitable.
Your azsertion thay Aussie twin aircraft could always land o a road and did'nt need etops is patently and laughably absurd
I'm not so stupid managing a 2 aircraft operation as I was, I went thru it at the time with both Australian Airlines and the UK CAA when asked if we could operate to PER, regardless that I had all the charts and airfield plates to hand had there been a suitable airfield available then I just reckon that Australian Airlines might have known about it.

When we were dispatched to Australia, with all the confusion of the period, do you think that we knew in advance the routes that we would be asked to operate, we just about knew where Australia was, we'd never heard of airports like Mt Isa, Coolangatta, where the hell is Newcastle and, ah yeah, we know Launceston, that's in Cornwall isn't it!

What next, are you going to suggest that it is absurd that airliners land/take-off at uncontrolled airfields with no ATC or fire cover and the pilots activate the airfield lighting themselves from their radio box?

Last edited by OC37; 22nd Aug 2020 at 14:41.