PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew workload in manual flying
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2020, 09:15
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotLZ
One reason why raw data manual flying might be frowned upon by the higher levels is precisely if people cannot decide when it is appropriate and when it isn't.

Plus any company requirements in the OM-B (for example, there's a certain major European carrier which permits flying a raw data approach or an approach with manual thrust, but not both at the same time).
Point 1, In which case they have the wrong calibre of pilots flying their jets!

Point 2. Wow, unbelievable, and is that why, following an engine failure ( unlocked cowls) the captain had to get the FO to handle manual thrust for speed control ?

In my younger days, 50 years ago, in a Canberra we flew, single pilot, often to limits.
Raw data approaches without FD, we didnt have one !
We flew it in manual, AP not fitted !
Manual thrust, sometimes on one engine, no AT installed.

We more than coped, it was just the norm, we were well trained, ( and we could recover jets, large and small, from a stall without any “birds“ or A of A instrumentation,) and just got on with it, no problem.
I still dont understand the logic of one airline which does not allow use of manual thrust in normal ops. BUT allows dispatch with AT inop.!

Back, in my despair to much of what I read in this thread, to my morning coffee !

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 22nd Aug 2020 at 09:28.