PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Reform? What planet are these fools on?!
Old 1st Dec 2003, 19:50
Howard Hughes
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I took my first flight under the new airspace system today. (just back off holidays). I fly a regional turboprop fitted with TCAS.

I must say everything went very smoothly on both sectors. However there seemed to be a distinct lack of traffic flying, we encountered no traffic VFR or IFR until we reached 30 miles from a capital city airport.

This has me a bit worried, it was a great sunny afternoon, were there people out flying? Were they listening out on the frequency that I was on? Or are they not flying for fear of the new airspace changes?

I flew through class G (with no radar coverage till about FL 135), and then class E, and finally into class C.

I would like to address some of the previous remarks with my own personal point of view.

I think FBF has made some good points, I certainly feel for the pilots flying into airports with overlying class E and no radar, relying on see and avoid as the primary separation tool.

Our country has many climactic and natural extremes, here are just a few that can affect your ability to see other aircraft even when you know where they are. Smog, smoke, sunglare at dawn and dusk (most RPT services run at these critical times), insect plagues and many more.
Now imagine descending to the west, late in the afternoon, into non radar controlled class D airport, during fire season, looking for aircraft (through bug splatter), that you dont even know are there. Does this sound safe or logical even?
Now this may sound extreme but it occurs every day at airports all over this great country.

Aussie Andy you are right, you cant make comparisons unless you take in all available data. I see a problem there in that Australia is unique and there is no other country with suitable data with which to compare.

Blair, I too have flown in the US, albeit a long time ago. Whilst I was there I was told By ATC's that the US excluding Alaska and Hawaii is 97% covered by radar to below 1000 ft (approx). This is approximately 67% more tha Australia and that is promulgated on 30,000 feet not 1000.

As far as aerodromes being the place where traffic is most concentrated, this is true, but as we approach an aerodrome we are more aware of which direction to look for traffic. ie: upwind, crosswind, downwind, base, final or a 5 mile final. On the open airways traffic could be coming, from virtually any direction as well as above or below!!

Now I have always been a forward thinker and have embraced change. I do like the new airspace system but with some reservations.

I think that:

1/ Class E should not overly Class D at Non radar airports.

2/ See and avoid should not be the primary seperation tool in Class E & G airspaces (non-radar). What is wrong with letting people know where you are?

I wish you all safe and enjoyable flying.

Cheers, HH.

Last edited by Howard Hughes; 1st Dec 2003 at 20:01.