PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beverley or Hasting tales please
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2020, 17:26
Timelord

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts
My experience of the Hastings is only training to be a Vulcan Nav Radar on the T5 out of Scampton. We used to get airborne with two or three student Nav Rads and weave intricate patterns in and out of Lindhome and Tumby Radar Bomb Scoring Units dropping dozens of Type 2 (High level, level) tone “bombs”. Occasionally when not on the scope we would pluck up the courage to venture towards the front of the aircraft where a selection of grumpy old aircrew were doing mysterious things. There was even a real navigator who would assist us sprogs with helpful tips like “ Are you sure about that steer “ and “ well, you missed that”.

Of the Beverley I have no experience, but I did have the privilege of working with the late Barry Chown, a Buccaneer navigator of renown, but before that he had another life as a Beverley (I think) siggie. He used to tell a story about a parade for a visiting dignitary in the Far East. Some senior officer had the brilliant idea that it would look most impressive if one of the resident Bevs would land in front of the parade and the Far East Air Force band were to march out of the back, resplendent in white dress uniforms, instrument glittering in the sunshine. . The rehearsal went fine but the SO decided that it took too long after the aircraft landed for the band to emerge. He decreed that the aircraft should land with the band already formed up in the freight bay. Come the day a little too much braking was required to stop at the appointed place. The doors opened, the ramp came down......... and a single bass drum rolled out!

Last edited by Timelord; 22nd Aug 2020 at 09:13.