PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FedEx 767 landing without left main gear extended
Old 21st Aug 2020, 05:58
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A few thoughts on aircraft recovery.

1. Fuel. Before recovery, it's a good idea to get as much fuel off as possible to reduce lifting effort required. Even at the end of a flight, I'd expect there to be several tonnes remaining. I'd doubt if LAX has any more bowsers available than large UK airports, i.e. none as all refuelling is done through on-stand hydrants. Even when a bowser of sufficient capacity is available, the fuel comeing off is considered contaminated and unless the airline agrees for it to be put in another of its own aircraft, disposal is problematic. Expect at least 24 hours for this to be arranged.
2. Removal of load. Really tricky, probably near-impossible with fuselage at an angle, to get equipment on. Also, likely requires power to aircraft to operate doors, powered floor etc (does the 767F have powered floor?)
3. Lifting the wing. The best method is airbags. Hopefully the various airports on the West coast have got together to pool some kit, it's not worth each airport having their own. The last lift of this nature I know a lot about was the Virgin A340 at Heathrow. The lift here was seriously hampered by the geometry of the domed runway pavement. Each time they attempted a jack, the angles would change with the danger of the whole thing slipping off. That recovery took nearly 3 days. Don't even think about strops and cranes. It's difficult to impossible to strop a fuselage without buckling it.
4. Repairs in situ to enable towing. Under-wing props are massive things, even getting one or two on-site is a big undertaking. Then there's the problem of getting a level surface (see above) and securing the site for safe working under the wing.
5. Assessing damage in situ before towing. Engines are held on by very few fastenings and are easily compromised - check out DC10 loss of engine on departure, O'Hare 1979. Nasty business if the pod falls off during the tow!

6. Actually, might be number 1, thinking about it. Getting someone to agree to do all this work in expectation of getting paid. Do FedEx have a comprehensive maintenance agreement with anyone at LAX? Do they have the resources to do the work? Will they insist on shipping in their own people and kit from elsewhere? It can be a nightmare getting these agreements in place. The airport authority have a vested interest in getting the wreck off their property although as the reporter said, it's quiet at the moment so not the same pressure as in normal times.

I guess now the initial drama and excitement have died down, we'll not hear too much about the detail of the recovery. Pity, this old Airfield Ops hand would like to see how they tackle this one.

Last edited by TheOddOne; 21st Aug 2020 at 11:33.