PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Reform? What planet are these fools on?!
Old 1st Dec 2003, 18:44
FluffyBunnyFeet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking as someone who will be spending a large portion of their work time descending/climbing in and out of Tasmanian destinations, I can tell you that this NAS thingy gives me the screaming heebie jeebies. There is no radar coverage in Tas, and relying on TCAS as the final link in preventing an accident is farcical. (Note that 'See-and-avoid' was deliberately ignored here, a great principle, it has saved my @rse in the past, but it's just not up to being the basis for an airway system. Traffic's hard enough to pick up when ATC are telling you where to look!) No, I'm not convinced that operating in radar airspace will be much better, it's just that Tassie seem so much worse - Braille descents!

Safety has gradually increased over many years as a result of defences being placed to prevent recurrenced of painful lessons. Here, we are doing the opposite, change for changes sake - to suit the selfish/political motivations of a some peanut millionaire. For what it's worth, I'll certainly be making that 1800 call.

Andy, I know a number of ATC controllers quite well - they are very concerned, not about their careers, but about the safety of the travelling public. Your comments are insulting to an extremely professional body. Their 'prejudices' are probably aimed more in your direction - recreational, wrong hemisphere as well as full of ****e.... To paraphrase Roy and HG, you need to find a room full of mirrors and have a good look around! (Buck palace might be a great place to start looking).

How (and could someone please provide details) is safety being improved here?

PS Mr Murphy knows that his Law is ultimately irrefutable. He's sitting back, relaxed, waiting, quietly chuckling. Time is on his side...