PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another rant from the Bearded One
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2020, 22:03
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SLXOwft
MAINJAFAD/Darvan I have been able to select and copy from a couple of the pdfs on the Radar site and have been using g@@g£3 translate as my Spanish is very basic.

It's interesting the radar unit were expecting a US aircraft as the delivery system if Shrike was used. Also they considered Martel might be used - I assume either on the basis of structural commonality with Sea Eagle (the SE development SHAR was the first to be shot down IIRC) or delivery by Nimrod?

Their preparations to counter a possible attack show a great deal of ingenuity. I'd be interested to know the actual targets of the Harriers they thought were possibly targeting them. Especially the alleged attack on the Stanley water supply.

Seems they thought some of the BB Vulcans were SHARs heading to their CAP stations so were slow to react.

I love the story of using the vibration of a fire extinguisher mounting to calculate the fall of shot from NGS ships.

38 years gone by and still learning new things.

Marcantilan - interesting post - "Three simulated craters were built on the main runway in order to deceive the Enemy Forces, before the possibility of reconnaissance" (my interpretation of his statement ).

I am looking forward to reading your new book, disfruté leyendo el anterior.
AR Martel was one of the weapons specified in the NSR for the Sea Harrier when it was issued in 1971/72. Carriage trials were done with an early GR1 and a photo of those trials appeared in a copy of Janes All The Worlds Aircraft in 1976 (Photo in a book that you will find in any decent air force tacint cell).. There is also a photo of the missile hanging off an early GR3 kicking about as well. I suspect the requirement for the missile fit was somewhat delayed in 1972 because of some belt tightening done in the Long Term Costings for the Martel buy done by the Chiefs of Staff Committee, before full scale development of the aircraft was authorised and most likely chopped when Sea Eagle development was started.

https://www.key.aero/forum/modern-mi...s-load-2-again

However, a number of navies had shown interest in a Maritime Harrier in 1971 which was one of the main reasons full development in 1975. I suspect HSA put out documents stating AR Martel could be part of the final package if the customer wants it and can pay for it. One of the Navies Interested actually bought the SHAR, One was going to buy it along with a Carrier in 1982, which was cancelled and another had its Air forces trashed by it.