PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew workload in manual flying
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2020, 16:53
NoelEvans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way, way back in Post #65:
Originally Posted by A320LGW
Wow this thread has given me a headache. Thanks to Corona I've been out of the game for a few months now but by God I don't recall the job being this complicated!?
And by Post #135 it is still being made to seem complicated!!!

I agree with Uplinker:

Originally Posted by Uplinker

@RetiredBA/BY #123, good post

A problem that is coming across is that flying the aeroplane seems to be a problem to some (many)? Why? Isn't that what we were all taught to do when we started off? Or is the truth that these days the training is being cut back to such bare minimums that a lot of pilots aren't really being taught everything they need to know anymore? I used to teach (and still do part-time). Things have been trimmed way back on basics. And where has it got us? I know of an instructor that was criticised by a school for taking students into fully developed stalls, because 'we do not do that'. Can anyone think of any pilots that might have benefited from having been in fully developed stalls during basic training? (They might have been mentioned here...) Too many pilots have forgotten how to fly/are scared of actually flying/whatever else. They rely too much on the automation as being the first (and only?) option.

Not a word has been said in 134 posts so far (that I have noticed) that for certain circumstances there might be (is?) an increased workload in trying to fly on the 'automatics'. This Thread has prompted me to go back and re-watch Warren Vanderburgh's EXCELLENT "Children of the Magenta".

Over two decades old but still very, very, very relevant. I recommend that anyone flying an airliner should have watched it.

Back in Post #110 I stated:
I do "... consider [my]self VERY lucky indeed"!
Lucky due to recent circumstances but also right back in the beginning, because I learnt to fly, not to 'operate', an aeroplane. I was doing solo aerobatics when I was was 17 (legally!). OK, not everyone is going to do that, nor need to do that. But flying the aeroplane is more important than button pushing 'automation managers'. To quote Vanderburgh, "We are captains and pilots", not 'automation managers'. OK, no need to do solo aerobatics as a teenager, but some aerobatics should be useful. I asked a group of fellow pilots once, when we were discussing loss of control situations, how many of them had experience negative-G. None had. That is an extreme situation, but if they did encounter it for the first time ever in an 'upset' in an airliner, the startle effect would be huge. When I taught pilots for their CPL/IR, they always did at least one session of aerobatics. Now at some schools they don't even do fully developed stalls. Look where that has got some people.

What has come across in much of this is that actually flying the aeroplane ('manual flying') is a 'problem'. Many have posted on here the very good reasons for 'keeping your hand in' and practising it. But isn't the problem a bit deeper and that too many pilots are no longer being fully trained in how to FLY?