PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another rant from the Bearded One
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2020, 02:51
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SLXOwft
JTO - to me the Victor "virtual SR.2" flights, especially to South Georgia and the very long ferry flights in single-seat single-engined Harriers are remarkable and remarkably unsung feats of airmanship.

However, without wishing to be seen as Sharkey in disguise, I do feel that the feats of the crew(s) of ZA718 have greatly overshadowed the RW efforts of the CHF, 3CBAS, the AAC and the FAA ASW in the popular imagination (flown by pilots of whichever service) except perhaps the Bluff Cove rescuers.

Addenda:
1) My reference to 1(F) was to their direct support of the land campaign which seemed pertinent to Asturias's post.
2) Regarding the Argentinian AN/TPS-43 my understanding was that (apart from the spoof sites) the risk of civilian casualties was deemed to high for an air attack. I assume a ground forces attack was deemed impractical/suicidal. However, I read somewhere of GR3s being "hastily wired" to take Shrikes - can any of those PPruners directly involved enlighten us to how seriously this was taken?
Shrike Missiles were delivered to Hermes via C-130 airdrop. Mod kits were also produced for aircraft already deployed and sent down on air drops.

This Argentinian site covers the TPS-43F deployment to the Falkland and other aspects of its operation. Most of the stuff on it is in locked PDF format, so can't be cut and pasted for translation. There are diagrams showing its location (right on the south west edge of the town) and a strike plot of where the Shrikes impacted (both within 20-30 metres of the radar convoy).

Radar Malvinas