PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another rant from the Bearded One
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2020, 20:34
SLXOwft

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
I have deep respect for those dismissed as "charlatans" above but I think they are missing the point of BB and are being somewhat petty. Although the COAN/CANA had rejected use of Stanley following a survey, partly on the grounds of likely met conditions use in an emergency was always possible before BB1.

One night a departing C-130 clipped the BB crater and nearly didn't get airborne; it would appear MB-339 ops were impeded. I have always understood the aim was to undermine the runway so as long as it was in contact its exact point of impact was irrelevant.

This web page show repairs being made by 59 Commando Squadron Royal Engineers to some of the five craters including the BB1 one which was partly packed with oil filled drums
https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/opera...d-raf-stanley/

Darvan - just for clarity I was referring to a locally launched attack without using ARMs or LGBs. I appear to have found an answer to my own question in that the GR3 wiring on Hermes was completed on 12 June according to Ethell and Price, only two days before the Argentinian surrender.

Last edited by SLXOwft; 20th Aug 2020 at 15:21. Reason: tidying up my typos