PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Helicopter Payscales in 2020
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2020, 11:12
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UK Helicopter Payscales in 2020

I know this is often a subject that many don’t wish to discuss, and that’s understandable, but can we have some sort of discussion on the way the industry has historically decided payscales?
Offshore is usually covered by a CBA and Union input. This was often done with some sort of benchmarking involvement. At least when I worked offshore and was involved in discussions it was.
The onshore market is different. Instruction hourly rate R22 was around £15-25 an hour nearly 20 years ago. An FI could earn £40-45 an hour with some schools on freelance basis. This doesn’t appear to have changed in all those years since.
I would like to know what onshore pilots consider a ballpark serious Annual Salary for various tasks. I see Air Ambulance are paying more money. Police pilot pay doesn’t appear to be very high considering the job they do, and knowing that you can go straight from an R44 to an EC135 means that maybe this helps keep pay low?
What is the standard daily rate charged by a freelance Multi eng (IR) rated ATPL? Would £650 / day ( 24hrs to include an overnight) be considered too high or too low?

Thanks if you comment with input to this thread.