PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Runway Excursion
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2020, 03:28
kiers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC too passive?

I note that many small town airports in India don't have ATC radar ( you can check the article at economic times (.com) newspaper headline: "Many airports don't have approach radars" )

SO given that this runway excursion/overshoot was likely due to overshooting the landing touchdown by a significant distance, shouldn't Calicut ATC have done a verbal altitude check with the pilot to make sure the plane was properly tracking the right glide path at an proper altitude at a given DME reading? I think (having read the Indian DGCA report on the Mangalore Tabletop runway crash from 2010) i deduce that the Mangalore ATC were silent on altitude correction advisement many miles before even the pilot got near the tabletop. It's not like Calicut ATC would be burdened by too many flights, (probably handling 3-4 or 5 flights per day tops) and they know their own tabletop better than others so it seems feasible that they could've talked the pilot to a proper altitude and thereby avoid altitude errors despite having no radar.

PS this thread is SO big it scares me, so if i'm a little late to this thread or in a different area excuse me..

Last edited by kiers; 18th Aug 2020 at 14:00.