PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good Landings in a 727
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2020, 02:01
megan

Received 426 Likes on 217 Posts
BTW, I learned that a daughter of Len Morgan is married to a very senior pilot at the airline from which I just retired
I seem to recall his writing that his son was a 727 skipper. Following Len handing in his wings for a set supplied by the All Mighty his daughter offered up his library collection to whosoever might be interested in obtaining a particular item. Seem to recall she sent out the details by way of email. Have to admire Len's panache, who turns up to an airline interview flying a P-51?

Quotes from Len.

"The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes. Me, I'd rather fly.""An airplane might disappoint any pilot, but it'll never surprise a good one."

"Watching the Dallas Cowboys perform, it is not difficult to believe that coach Tom Landry flew four-engine bombers during World War II. He was in B-17 Flying Fortresses out of England, they say. His cautious, conservative approach to every situation and the complexity of the plays he sends in do seem to reflect the philosophy of a pilot trained to doggedly press on according to plans laid down before takeoff. I sometimes wonder how the Cowboys would have fared all these years had Tom flown fighters in combat situations which dictated continually changing tactics."

"Margaret [is] the loving centerpiece of all that matters. Her love and encouragement for 60 years are the foundation of anything I have accomplished. I have been truly blessed."

"There are two kinds of men in this world: the selfish ones that just want to make a name for themselves, and the generous people that just want to make a difference."

"True, there was no teenager sport to equal tumbling about the glistening cumulus on a summer morning, rolling, looping, stalling, spinning (while supposedly practicing steep turns), then cruising back to our little grass field with its single hangar and neat rows of yellow biplane trainers. Check the windsock, follow the landing drill exactly and join the downwind leg at 800 feet, reduce speed and look for other planes, turn base, chop the power and descend to 400 feet. Then the slow glide down final with the engine muttering in idle to cross the fence and level off with wheels skimming the wet clover. Finally, the moment of truth: bump...bump...and slowing to a walk. Taxi to the flight line, shut down, hear the ticking of the cooling engine and inhale the exotic aroma of gasoline and dope and leather --- aware of being truly blessed. You never forget such moments."

Given where the world is now here's to a new beginning.

https://airfactsjournal.com/2018/12/...-a-pilot-sees/