PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff-2
Thread: Cardiff-2
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2020, 22:03
caaardiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CWL was heading in the right direction, pre-flybe & Covid. TCX could've been recovered from, Flybe will be a lot harder.

If you look at their Management structure, it's very similar to CWL.
Each has a CEO, CFO/FD, HR Director, Ops Director & Commercial Director (With Spencer currently covering CEO)
PIK has 4 non executive Directors, whereas CWL has 3, also with Deb currently an Executive Director role until she leaves in Oct.
So seems a similar structure in both. I'm not sure of the Prestwick business setup, but the CWL team are also managing St Athan Airfield Ops & VLY Passenger services.

Secondly they may be similar in size, but very different in Operations.

2019 Passengers carried - CWL 1.65m / PIK 640k
There's a big difference in aircraft movements. CWL had about 7,000 more aircraft movements, with commercial flights comparison being CWL 16,549 vs PIK 4637
However there's a big military operation at PIK which saw 4292 at PIK vs 346 at CWL
Private non-commercial movements also account for 1915 at PIK vs 6155 at CWL. These flights are likely going to bring in less revenue than military flights.
Lastly there's a huge difference in Cargo carried 13054tn at PIK vs 1803tn at CWL. The majority of PIK's cargo throughput is from Cargo aircraft, whereas most of CWL's is schedules flights (Mainly QR).

PIK is also positioned well to be a cargo hub for Scotland, whereas CWL's location is more difficult as it would have to compete with a massive hub in EMA. So passenger wise PIK may not be doing well, but it has the ability to diversify.

I still don't understand why the Management team are continuing to get a bashing when CWL have already driven operational efficiencies and looked at costs pre-covid, whilst having to make investments in the Terminal and Airfield to remain attractive. They get scrutinised by the WG, as well as the media and general public. They aren't going to be p*ss*ng money up the wall with that kind of focus on them. I have still yet to see any solid evidence from an informed source that they are doing so.