PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you do ? (5)
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2020, 16:04
sycamore

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
A bit more,as it happened to me once...I had been to an air-race,and was flying a Cassutt.After the event I had to return home to my RAF base in NYorks across the Irish Sea and NY moors. The weather was forecast to be fine for most of the route,but layered over the moors and broken over destination.I was going in formation with another Instructor in another type with better instrumentation,but also non-radio..my aircraft had an ASI,altimeter,RPM and t&slip,standby compass....We briefed the formation ,and arrival and if it was `iffy` we would orbit ,other a/c would pop down,then pop backup for a formation descent....so ,I orbited,and orbited,adjusting for forecast wind..and waited,but no sign of the other a/c ,or any `sucker holes` ..so, time to set up for an IMC descent on limited panel compass and t/slip,and down I went into the `murk` ,fortunately it was not turbulent,and eventually it got `darker` until we(me and Cssutt) popped out of the clag at a reasonable height,and not far from my base....We later had a `meaningful` discussion,as he`d `forgotten` the brief......